Tyler Ashford queuing for The 1975's gig

The 1975’s superfans queue for 30 hours in sub-zero temperatures for special wristbands

From noon on Sunday fans armed with sleeping bags, blankets and coats began queuing for Monday night’s gig at CIA

FANS of The 1975 braved overnight temperatures of -1C to queue on the steps outside Cardiff International Arena for the first of the British indie superstars’ two gigs in the city.

The queue started at noon on Sunday, January 15, with doors to the concert not opening until 6.30pm on Monday, January 16. At that time, doors for the band’s Sunday night gig in Birmingham had not yet opened.

The Cardiffian went to The Cardiff International Arena at 2pm on January 15 meet fans in the queue. There were 20 people there at the time.

Fans queued under the canopy at the Cardiff International Arena. Photo: Sam Feierabend

Tyler Ashford, 20, travelled from Bath to queue on January 16 for the second gig on January 17.

“It was unbelievably cold, I was wearing tights, leggings, dungarees, joggers, 3 jumpers and had a blanket and sleeping bag but it was still so cold. It was completely worth it though,” she said.

Layla and Posey had travelled from Kent to be part of the queue. Another fan had come from New York to follow the band around the UK.

“This is the fifth time we have done this for the tour this year,” said Posey.

Tyler Ashford, 20, queueing for The 1975 gig on January 17. Photo: Tyler Ashford

“We have been doing this for years. You get used to the cold.”

Layla said that their endurance is not always rewarded.

“We have done this for five of their gigs on this tour. I have only been at the barrier once though,” said Layla.

Fans were well-prepared, armed with blankets, sleeping bags and coats for their long wait and there is order to the process.

Numbers given to fans so they can leave to get refreshment. Photo: Tyler Ashford.

The band’s security team give out special wristbands to the first 100 people that queue for their gigs. The arrangement works external to the venue’s own security. The wristbands are distributed at around 8am the day of the gig, so those wanting one had to wait overnight.

The wristbands ensure that those queuing can get access to the arena first.

Those in the queue organise a number system between themselves to make sure it is fair if anyone needs to leave to get refreshments or need the toilet and then can rejoin at the same spot.

The queue at 8:57am. Photo: Tori Sillman

Joanna assumed the role of queue organiser for this concert. She said: “I would not do this for any other artist. The wristband system mean that we can go to our hotel rooms and chill in the city in the day. There is no stress about getting to the front then.”

For the band’s second show in Cardiff, fans began to queue before the venue opened for their first. There were around 50 people by midnight and by 10am on January 17 the queue had reached 102 people.

However, The Cardiffian attended Monday night’s gig and despite joining the queue at a more normal time was able to walk to the front barrier without problem.